image for Church item typeMidhopestones St James

Church, free entry

Midhopestones St James

Midhopestones St James

Contact

Sarah Arthur

0845 652 9634

0777 987 5642

Address

Chapel Lane,
Midhopestones,
S36 4GW

Details

Midhopestones is a hamlet, high in the Pennines north west of Sheffield. St James' is a tiny rugged church, surrounded by a picturesque graveyard. It is built of grey sandstone, with roof tiles of the same material.

All are welcome in this House of Prayer where people have come since the foundations were laid around 1360 by the Barnby family, the Lords of the Manor of Midhope (1354-1622). They used it as their private chapel until, impoverished by adherence to the Catholic faith after the Reformation, they had to sell the whole Manor. Some of the old benches in the gallery may have come from this time when there would have been no other seating.

During the time of the new owner, a Puritan merchant, a Jacobean pulpit was installed. It was high enough for the preacher to see out of the window. When Godfrey Bosville of Gunthwaite Hall bought the Manor for £2256 in 1690 the chapel was falling into disrepair. He restored it in 1705, adding the porch, gallery and simple box pews. Most of these survive, and two have the names of their original tenants carved upon the doors. The church was significantly reordered in 1978.

The churchyard has wonderful views over the open moors and hills.

Coach parties acceptedFacilities for educational visitsAccepts groups

Children welcomeDisabled accessDogs acceptedSmoking not allowed

Opening details

Please bear in mind that heritage faith sites are all working buildings and may be closed on some days for special occasions. Please contact HERITAGE INSPIRED for latest opening times of our partner sites.

Prices

Free entry

May charge for some activities and events.

Directions

See location of Midhopestones St James on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SK 236996  Lat: 53.49257 Long: -1.64574

M1 J36. Take A61 to Sheffield. At roundabout take 3rd exit onto A616. Follow for 6 miles, turn left at Mortimer Road (to Bradfield). Turn right onto Chapel Lane, church on right.

Parking: free

Facilities

  • Coach parties acceptedCoach parties accepted
  • Facilities for educational visitsFacilities for educational visits
  • Accepts groupsAccepts groups
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Dogs acceptedDogs accepted
  • Smoking not allowedSmoking not allowed
Privacy Policy