image for Church item typeCantley St Wilfrid

Church, free entry

Cantley St Wilfrid

Cantley St Wilfrid

Contact

Sarah Arthur

0845 652 9634

0777 987 5642

Address

Church Lane,
Cantley,
Doncaster,
DN4 6QR

Details

"Wilcuma" - a welcome extended since Saxon times to our neighbours , friends and visitors to the ancient Church of St Wilfrid, Cantley. We are a church in the Catholic tradition within the Church of England, serving as the parish church for Cantley, Branton & Bessacarr.

There has been a Church on the site since Saxon times and it is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. Parts of the present church are 11th & 12th century with the west tower being 14th century. It is believed that the church was founded on a site used for earlier worship or the site of a Romano-British pagan temple or burial ground. The church's dedication to St Wilfrid also suggests a Roman connection. Records of the Church going back to 1215 are in the archives of York Minster. Until the dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, the church belonged to Worksop Priory and thereafter passed into the hands of the Childers family. The church suffered from neglect from the 17th to the early 19th centuries but magnificent restorations were carried out in 1874 by George Gilbert Scott and in 1894 by John Ninian Comper. In order to cater for the expanding population of the parish, an extension was added to the north side of the Church in 1989, designed by Donald Buttress, a well known architect who was Surveyor of the Fabric to Westminster Abbey and a recognised authority on the work of Sir Ninian Comper.

St Wilfrid's Church is considered to have one of the finest examples of the early work of Sir Ninian Comper. He recreated at St Wilfrid's the atmosphere of an English medieval Parish Church with his elaborate rich decoration, rood screens, reredos and other furnishings. There are also examples of both early English and medieval decoration and a number of beautiful statues throughout the church. The oldest part of the present church is believed to be the dog tooth moulding on the external part of the main south door, similar to moulding around the west door of Lincoln Cathedral, which is known to date from 1032.

Coach parties acceptedFacilities for educational visitsAccepts groups

Children welcomeDisabled accessDogs acceptedSmoking not allowedFacilities for hearing impaired

Opening details

Please bear in mind that heritage faith sites are all working buildings and may be closed on some days for special occasions. Please contact HERITAGE INSPIRED for latest opening times of our partner sites.

Prices

Free entry

May charge for some activities.

Directions

See location of Cantley St Wilfrid on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SE 618014  Lat: 53.50565 Long: -1.06968

M18 J3. Follow signs for Doncaster Dome. Pass Dome, at t-junction turn right onto A638 Bawtry Road. At lights turn left onto B1396 Cantley Lane and straight at roundabout. Right onto Church Lane.

Parking: free

Accessible by Public Transport: 4 miles from Doncaster station

Facilities

  • Coach parties acceptedCoach parties accepted
  • Facilities for educational visitsFacilities for educational visits
  • Accepts groupsAccepts groups
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Dogs acceptedDogs accepted
  • Smoking not allowedSmoking not allowed
  • Facilities for hearing impairedFacilities for hearing impaired
Privacy Policy