image for Village item typeBradfield Village

Village

Contact

Tourist Information Centre

0114 221 1900

Address

Bradfield,
Sheffield,
S6 6LB

Details

Bradfield really consists of two villages; High Bradfield and Low Bradfield. Both are dominated by St. Nicholas Parish Church, which dates from 1487, and can be seen from many parts of the Parish, standing 860ft above sea level. Inside are many interesting features such as the Saxon Cross, found at Low Bradfield in 1870 and subsequently placed in the church in 1886. The Norman Font is said to have been given by the Cistercian monks of Roche Abbey.

At the gate of the church stands the Watch House, a multiangular building. It was built in 1745 to prevent Body Snatching. As it is the only surviving Watch House in Yorkshire, it is of historical interest.

Beyond the church yard, behind the church is Bailey Hill. No one seems to know its true origin or purpose. It may have been a look-out post or a Chieftains home, but one thing is certain, it was used by Saxons and Normans.

Almost opposite "The Horns" stands the Old Work House built in 1769 to house the poor and homeless of the Parish.

At the top of Woodfall Lane is the former Church Hall. It was once the Church of England Day school, erected in 1841. It is now a private dwelling.

A steep 1/2 mile descent lakes us down Wood fall Lane to Low Bradfield. At the bottom of the hill lies the village shop and Post Office.

Directions

See location of Bradfield Village on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SK 263918  Lat: 53.37957 Long: -1.46869

Privacy Policy